The Gwithian Academy of Surfing wetsuits is based on the superb Gul Response wetsuit architecture but with a few of the extras that we require in our surf school to make them the ideal wetsuit for learning to surf.
The first consideration for us is that the suits are strong but still offer a wide degree of movement and flexibility. They feature Powertex knee pad panels for flexibility and endurance, X-flex super stretch panels in the upper body which reduce the strain on your shoulders when paddling for waves and D-flex lower body panels to cope with popping up to your feet on a surfboard repeatedly.
We want our wetsuits to be an all-rounder so we opted for 4/3mm construction with glued and blind-stitched seams for a waterproof seal. Critical seams in the crotch area have been taped for extra strength. We have done away with the fragile single lined neoprene that you get on most wetsuits and opted for a more robust Dura-skin chest and back panel. Both the chest and back panels have a D-therm ultra insulating lining which acts a bit like a fleece lining – it’s super warm and very comfortable. These wetsuits are beautifully warm during the British summertime and can be worn on all but the coldest days in SW England during the winter. They can be used down to a 10˚c water temperature.
They come in the standard Gul sizing so there is a wetsuit that will fit anyone, no matter their shape or size.
- X-Flex Super Strech upper body panels for flexibility and freedom of movement
- D-Flex lower body panels for durability
- Non-petroleum based neoprene
- Blindstitched and critically taped
- G-flex tape reinforced leg and crotch seams
- Tech-Neck single layer seal
- Dura-Skin chest and back print to prevent wind chill
- D-Therm ultra insulating chest panel
- Titanium 2 lined neoprene reflects the heat back in
- Powertex knees for flexibility and durability
- PK G-lock blackout zip with metal puller