Living and working so close to the beach, year in year out, we know that Autumn is the best season for a surfing break. Here’s why.
10 reasons to surf in Cornwall this autumn
- The water is still warm (yes really!) temperatures don’t drop until late November/December.
- The sunsets are magnificent. Sunny, crisp autumn days followed by amazing skies.
- A beach BBQ is still possible. Weather dependent obvs!
- The kids are back to school, meaning the summer crowds have gone. Room to move around.
- It’s not unusual to have the beach to yourself for hours on end.
- The waves are uncrowded, catching more waves mean your surfing will improve quicker.
- The ocean swells are more consistent, providing perfect surfing conditions for budding surfers or improvers alike.
- You can drive anywhere without being in a traffic jam and you can park easily.
- Lifeguards are still on patrol at many of the beaches until the end of September. Then our own surfing instructors are on patrol, just for you.
- Then there’s the marine and wildlife…
Our surf school sits in the middle of a nature reserve and National Trust park lands. With seals and dolphins regular visitors to our shores and to our surf lessons! Autumn is a pretty magical time to visit Cornwall.
It’s not as far as you think
For a surf getaway, Cornwall is the most obvious choice. It’s a 5-hour drive from London and 3 hours from Bristol. So it’s easy to come for a weekend break or longer without too much time in the car. Flights are even quicker and cheaper at this time of year. London – Newquay takes 1 hour. Manchester – Newquay is just 50mins!
Our 3 Night Surf Packages – The Hot Dogger or The Trimmer
If you’ve got a few days spare why not head down to Cornwall and hit the surf with us? Choose either the Trimmer (3 nights accommodation with 2 surfing lessons) or the Hot Dogger (3 nights accommodation with 4 surfing lessons). As long as we have vacancies, you can come over the weekend or during the week for the same great price. Perfect for a quick surfing getaway. Find out more
Our weekly surfing packages – The FreeRider or the Hellman
If you have a week to spare why not take a 7-day surfing course with us?
The FreeRider (7 nights accommodation with 6 surfing lessons) gives you some free time to explore this beautiful unspoilt area. The Hellman is our intensive 7-day surfing course (7 nights accommodation with 12 surfing lessons). This gives you plenty of water time with our experienced surf coaches to practice and perfect your surfing manoeuvres. Find out more
Flexible Surfing Packages
If you don’t want to be tied into having a set amount of lessons during your stay then our bespoke package is the one for you. We want you to have the best time possible while you are staying with us, so, you can stay for one night, four nights or three weeks – anything is possible as long as we have availability. We’re very flexible. Enquire for more info
Surfing Yoga and Massage
If you want fitness, fun and relaxation then we also offer surfing, yoga and massage packages with our surfing yogi Lucy Aldridge. Surfing and yoga use many of the same muscles so they complement each other perfectly. Find out more
The Surf School
Gwithian Academy surf school is an Academy of Surfing Instructor (ASI) training centre of excellence, and our highly experienced instructors and coaches will have you up and riding in no time, or they will work with you to improve your wave riding technique. Find out more
*Prices are per person and include two hours of surfing tuition per session as well as the use of a surfboard and wetsuit for the duration of your stay.
How do I book?
Decide what days you are free and which surf and stay package you want to enrol on. Call us 01736 755493 or click here and to complete the form and we will take care of the rest.
We can even pick you up from Newquay Airport or Hayle train station. Just ask.
Why not escape the daily grind and come stay with us on the wild Cornish coast this autumn? We will ensure you have the best fun and the best holiday this autumn.